Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Legislative Authority, in order to obtain police protection or to obtain additional police protection or to allow police officers to work in multi-jurisdictional drug, gang or career criminal task forces, may enter into contracts with one or more municipal corporations, townships, township police districts, joint police districts, or county sheriffs in the state, with one or more park districts created pursuant to R.C. § 511.18 or 1545.01, with one or more port authorities, or with a contiguous municipal corporation in an adjoining state, upon any terms that are agreed upon, for services of police departments or the use of police equipment or for the interchange of services of police departments or police equipment within the several territories of the contracting subdivisions.
(B) The provisions of R.C. Chapter 2744, insofar as it applies to the operation of police departments, shall apply to the contracting political subdivisions and to the Police Department members when they are rendering service outside their own subdivisions pursuant to the contracts.
(C) Police Department members acting outside the subdivision in which they are employed, pursuant to a contract entered into under this section, shall be entitled to participate in any indemnity fund established by their employer to the same extent as while acting within the employing subdivision. Those members shall be entitled to all the rights and benefits of R.C. Chapter 4123, to the same extent as while performing service within the subdivision.
(D) The contracts may provide for:
(1) A fixed annual charge to be paid at the times agreed upon and stipulated in the contract;
(2) Compensation based upon:
(a) A stipulated price for each call or emergency;
(b) The number of members or pieces of equipment employed; or
(c) The elapsed time of service required in each call or emergency;
(3) Compensation for loss or damage to equipment while engaged in rendering police services outside the limits of the political subdivision owning and furnishing the equipment; and
(4) Reimbursement of the political subdivision in which the police department members are employed for any indemnity award or premium contribution assessed against the employing subdivision for workers’ compensation benefits for injuries or death of its police department members occurring while engaged in rendering police services pursuant to the contract.
(R.C. § 737.04) (Rev. 2012)
(E) Nonresident service without contract.
(1) The Police Department may provide police protection to any county, municipal corporation, township or township police district, or joint police district of the state, to a park district created pursuant to R.C. § 511.18 or 1545.01, to a port authority, to any multi-jurisdictional drug, gang or career criminal task force, or to a governmental entity of an adjoining state without a contract to provide police protection, upon the approval, by resolution, of the Legislative Authority and upon authorization by an officer or employee of the Police Department who is designated by title of office or position, pursuant to the resolution of the Legislative Authority, to give the authorization.
(2) The provisions of R.C. Chapter 2744, insofar as it applies to the operation of police departments, shall apply to the municipality and to members of its Police Department when the members are rendering police services pursuant to this section outside the municipality.
(3) Police Department members acting, as provided in this section, outside the municipality, shall be entitled to participate in any pension or indemnity fund established by their employer to the same extent as while acting within the municipality. Those members shall be entitled to all the rights and benefits of R.C. Chapter 4123, to the same extent as while performing services within the municipality.
(R.C. § 737.041) (Rev. 2012)