Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of these regulations, and the interpretation and enforcement hereof, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings, unless the context of the sentence in which they are used shall indicate otherwise:
(a) "Applicant" means any person or entity who submits an application pursuant to these regulations.
(b) "Application" means the form issued by the Mayor, to be submitted by an applicant to obtain a Small Cell Use Permit from the City to collocate a small cell facility and/or to construct, maintain, modify, operate, or replace a wireless support structure.
(c) "Accessory Equipment" means equipment used in conjunction with a small cell facility and generally at the same location as, or in proximity to, the small cell facility including, but not limited to, electric meters, concealment elements, telecommunications demarcation boxes, grounding equipment, power transfer switches, cut-off switches, and vertical cable runs.
(d) "City" means City of Amherst.
(e) "Collocation" or "Collocate" means to install, mount, maintain, modify, operate, or replace wireless facilities on a wireless support structure.
(f) "Design Guidelines" means the standards established in these regulations.
(g) "Facilities" means small cell facilities, accessory equipment, and wireless support structures.
(h) "Facilities Operator" means the person or entity responsible for the installation, operation, maintenance, replacement, and modification of facilities. Facilities operator includes:
(2) Applicants who applied for consent to collocate a small cell facility or to construct, maintain, modify, operate, or replace a new wireless support structure pursuant to Ohio R.C. Section 4939.031(E) and who have obtained a Small Cell Use Permit; and,
(3) Applicants who applied for consent to collocate a small cell facility or to construct, maintain, modify, operate, or replace a new wireless support structure pursuant to Ohio R.C. Section 4939.033 and who have obtained a Small Cell Use Permit.
(i) "Mayor" means the currently elected Mayor of the City or his/her designee
(j) "Operator" means a wireless service provider, cable operator, or video service provider that operates a small cell facility and provides wireless service, including a wireless service provider, cable operator, or a video service provider that provides information services as defined in the "Telecommunications Act of 1996," 110 Stat. 59, 47 U.S.C. 153(20), and services that are fixed in nature or use unlicensed spectrum.
(k) "Public Way" or "Right-of-Way" means the surface of, and the space within, through, on, across, above or below, any public street, public road, public highway, public freeway, public lane, public path, public alley, public court, public sidewalk, public boulevard, public parkway, public drive, public easement, and any other land dedicated or otherwise designated for a comparable public use, which is owned or controlled by the City or other public entity or political subdivision.
(l) "Small Cell Facility" means a wireless facility that meets both of the following requirements:
(1) Each antenna is located inside an enclosure of not more than six (6) cubic feet in volume or, in the case of an antenna with exposed elements, the antenna and all of its exposed elements can fit within an enclosure of not more than six (6) cubic feet in volume; and
(2) All other wireless equipment associated with the facility is cumulatively not more than twenty-eight (28) cubic feet in volume. The calculation of equipment volume shall not include electric meters, concealment elements, telecommunications demarcation boxes, grounding equipment, power transfer switches, cut-off switches, and vertical cable runs for the connection of power and other services.
(m) "Small Cell Equipment" means a small cell facility and all accessory equipment.
(n) "Small Cell Use Permit" means the permit granted by the City authorizing an Applicant to collocate a small cell facility or to construct, maintain, modify, operate, or replace a wireless support structure in the right-of-way.
(o) "Underground Area" means an area in the right-of-way where existing electric utilities, cable facilities, telecommunications facilities and other facilities, other than structures and facilities owned by the City or a transit authority, are located underground.
(p) "Wireless Support Structure" means a pole, such as a monopole, either guyed or self-supporting, street light pole, traffic signal pole, sign pole, or utility pole capable of supporting small cell facilities. As used in these regulations, "Wireless Support Structure" excludes all of the following:
(1) A utility pole or other facility owned or operated by a municipal electric utility; and
(2) A utility pole or other facility used to supply traction power to public transit systems, including railways, trams, streetcars, and trolleybuses.
(Ord. 20-30. Passed 10-26-20.)