Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) There is hereby created and established a municipal garbage and refuse collection system. The City Council is hereby authorized and empowered to grant, by contract with any person, firm, or corporation, the exclusive right and authority to collect and dispose of residential garbage and refuse within the city.
(B) There is hereby created and established a municipal recycling system. The City Council is also hereby authorized and empowered to grant, by contract with any person, firm, or corporation, the exclusive right and authority to collect residential recycling within the city.
(C) Any person, firm, or corporation which contracts with the City of Amboy for refuse collection or recycling pickup must meet the following requirements.
(1) Collection of garbage and rubbish shall be made at every residence in the City of Amboy once in each calendar week.
(2) Recycling pickup shall be made at every residence in the City of Amboy at least twice each month.
(3) Contractor(s) shall negotiate individually with commercial businesses and governmental agencies or subdivisions for refuse and recycling pickup.
(4) Refuse and recycling contracts will be in full force and effect for a period of time to be mutually determined by the City Council and Contractor(s) with an option for extension to be mutually agreed upon by negotiation between the Council and Contractor(s).
(5) The Contractor shall convey all refuse collection under this contract to a site which meets the criteria set by the State of Minnesota Solid Waste Management Act and the Blue Earth County Solid Waste Management Plan. Recyclables shall be taken to a recycling center to be processed in accordance with any applicable criteria set by the State of Minnesota and/or the Blue Earth County Solid Waste Management Plan.
(6) Before any contract shall be binding against the city, the Contractor(s) shall enter into a joint and several performance bond with the City of Amboy. The bond will be signed by the Contractor(s) and with a surety company in the amount of $500, which bond shall be kept in full force and effect. The conditions of the bond shall be that the Contractor(s) shall fully and faithfully perform all conditions and specifications of the contract(s).
(7) The Contractor(s) shall perform under the contract(s) in a clean, neat, and workmanlike manner and shall operate the trucks and motor vehicles as are reasonably necessary and suitable to the rendering of the services and in collecting the refuse and recycling under the contract(s). The Contractor(s) shall keep the vehicles used insured with a minimum of public liability insurance of $100,000 per person and $300,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and $50,000 for property damage. A current certificate of insurance shall be filed by the Contractor(s) with the city during the full term of the Contract(s). The policies shall provide for 10-days’ notice by the insurance company to the city of any changes, cancellations, or lapses of the policies. The Contractor(s) shall also purchase and maintain workers’ compensation insurance providing limits as required by the State of Minnesota. Contractor(s) shall submit written evidence to the city that workers’ compensation insurance has been obtained. All of the foregoing policies shall be with a company or companies licensed to do business in the State of Minnesota and acceptable to the City of Amboy.
(Ord. 114, passed 5-3-1999)