1. It is the responsibility of the abutting property owner to remove snow, ice and accumulations from the entire width and length of sidewalk located between the back of the public street curb, or in the absence of a curb the edge of the public street pavement, to the property owners actual property line and/or in an area on private property that is dedicated, as indicated on the plat of record, for the use of pedestrian traffic excluding bike paths within 24 hours following the cessation of the weather event by which they were deposited, as defined by the National Weather Service or other event by which they were deposited, provided, however that in extraordinary weather circumstances the Public Works Director or their designated representative may extend the period of time provided herein. In those situations the Public Works Director or their designated representative will deliver to representative news media a statement indicating the amount of additional time the property owners shall have to remove accumulations from sidewalks.
2. In instances where a property owner has a sidewalk adjacent to both the front and rear of the property and the rear sidewalk is shared by adjoining property owners, the owner with two sidewalks is only responsible for the removal of snow, ice and accumulations in the front area. The owner who has adjoining property, in this situation, would be responsible for removal of snow, ice and accumulations on the sidewalks in the rear area.
3. If both properties have both a front area and a rear area sidewalk, both adjoining property owners are mutually responsible for removal of snow, ice and accumulations on the sidewalk in the rear area.
4. When accumulations have formed upon any sidewalk so that it cannot be reasonably removed, such as ice and/or packed down snow, the abutting property owner shall keep and maintain such accumulations sprinkled with fine cinders, sand or deicing chemicals in such a manner as to provide traction and prevent the sidewalk from being dangerous to persons using the same for the entire width and length. This subsection is not to be construed as a substitute for the removal of accumulations and only applies when accumulations cannot be reasonably removed; however, all accumulations shall be removed as soon as practical.
5. The Public Works Director or his or her designated representative or any peace officer shall enforce the provisions of this section. If any snow, ice or accumulations are not removed as required above, including any extraordinary weather circumstances, within the time designated by the Public Works Director or a designated representative, the Public Works Director or his or her designated representative or any peace officer is authorized to issue a citation or may post notice to such owner by placing written notice on the main entrance to the principle structure, requiring the owner to remove snow, ice and accumulations within 12 hours and if such action is not completed within the time stated in the notice, the Public Works Director or his or her designated representative may cause the work to be done and assess the costs thereof as a special tax against the abutting property and collect the same according to law.