Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. The public works director shall be appointed by the mayor, by and with the consent of the city council. He shall be qualified by education, training, and experience applicable to municipal public works functions. A temporary public works director may be appointed by the mayor, with the consent of the city council, as deemed appropriate from time to time in the absence of a permanent public works director, and a temporary public works director need not have the full qualifications required of a permanent public works director. A temporary public works director shall serve in office no longer than six (6) consecutive months without reappointment and approval by the city council.
B. The duties of the public works director shall be as follows:
1. To perform the administrative functions of the public works department through appropriate staff.
2. To generally oversee the operations of the street division, the sewer division, the park maintenance division, the equipment services division, the nuisance abatement division, and the engineering division.
3. To issue permits for the excavation into or the disturbance of any public street, alley, or other public property not under the control of the parks and recreation commission or any other commission designated by the city council.
4. To review all contracts, plans, or specifications that pertain to any repair, maintenance or construction projects involving expenditures of city funds or in part controlled by city authority. No city funds or city authority shall be exercised in connection with said contracts, plans or specifications without the prior written approval of the public works director. The review of said contracts, plans, or specifications by the public works director shall be limited to assuring the technical and professional aspects of said contracts, plans, or specifications so that the overall objective sought by each project will be reasonably fulfilled.
5. Such other duties as may be assigned by the mayor or by city of Alton ordinance from time to time.
6. To assign all equipment and personnel in the public works department.
7. To utilize any public works department equipment and personnel in emergency situations as needed. (Ord. 7232, 12-15-2010; amd. Ord. 7768, 8-13-2020)