Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) An application for a religious solicitation certificate as required by § 5.29.030 of this code shall be made to the Director of Finance upon forms prescribed by the Committee. Such application shall be sworn to or affirmed and filed with the Director of Finance at least 15 days prior to the time at which the certificate applied for is to become effective. The Director of Finance may, for good cause shown, allow the filing of an application less than 15 days prior to the effective date of such certificate. Such application shall contain the following information, or in lieu thereof, a statement satisfactory to the Committee of the reason or reasons why such information, or any item thereof, is not furnished:
(1) A copy of the documentation from the State of California Franchise Tax Board or the Federal Internal Revenue Service certifying nonprofit religious status;
(2) A financial statement for the last preceding two fiscal or calendar years of any funds collected for religious purposes by the applicant, giving the amount of money so raised, the cost of raising it and the final distribution thereof;
(3) The name, address and headquarters of the person applying for the certificate;
(4) The church, church group, or other religious organization represented by applicant;
(5) The extent, if any, to which such solicitation is for a charitable purpose as defined in § 5.28.010 of this code;
(6) A full statement of the general character and extent of the religious work being done or to be done by the applicant, also the character and extent of such work being done or to be done within the city;
(7) A statement to the effect that if a certificate is granted, it will not be used or represented in any way as an endorsement by the city, or by any department or officer thereof;
(8) A statement to the effect that if a certificate is granted, no person under the age of 16 years unaccompanied by an adult bearing a certificate issued hereunder will be permitted to solicit money;
(9) The time during which such solicitation shall be conducted, giving the beginning and ending dates;
(10) A general statement of the basis for the applicant's claim to be a religious organization or to be soliciting for a religious purpose;
(11) The general outline of the methods to be used in conducting the solicitation;
(12) The estimated cost of solicitation;
(13) The name and address of the person, or persons, who will be in direct charge of the conduct of the solicitation and those who will be doing the actual soliciting;
(14) A list of other cities or counties where similar certificates have been applied for in the past two years;
(15) Such other information as may be required by the Committee in order for it to deter-mine the kind and character of the proposed solicita-tion.
(B) If while any application is pending, or during the term of any certificate granted thereon, there is any change in fact, policy or method that would alter the information given in the application, the applicant shall notify the Director of Finance in writing thereof within 24 hours after such change.
(C) The Committee may, in its discretion, reject any application submitted pursuant hereto in which the applicant states that more than 50% of the proceeds of such solicitation shall be used for charitable purposes as defined in § 5.28.010. Upon taking such action, the Committee shall notify the applicant that he may file an application pursuant to Chapter 5.28 above.
('86 Code, § 5.29.040) (Ord. 3673, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 3962, passed - - )