Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Discrimination. All personnel actions, including appointments and promotions in the classified service, shall be made without regard to sex, race, age, national origin, color, religious or political affiliation.
(B) Political activities.
(1) No employee shall participate in political activities of any kind while in uniform.
(2) No employee shall engage in political activity during working hours or within city offices.
(3) No employee, directly or indirectly, shall knowingly solicit political funds or contributions from other city officers or employees or from persons on city employment lists.
(4) Nothing in this division (B) shall prohibit an off-duty employee from:
(a) Communicating through the mail, or by other means, requests for political funds or contributions to a significant segment of the public which may include city employees.
(b) Soliciting or receiving political funds or contributions to promote the passage or defeat of a ballot measure which would affect the rate of pay, hours of work, retirement, civil service system, or other working conditions of state or city employees.
(5) Nothing in this division (B) shall prohibit a recognized employee organization from soliciting funds and contributions from its own membership during off-duty hours.
(C) Amendment and revision of rules. Recom-mendations for amendment and revision of these rules may be made by the personnel officer after compliance with Cal. Gov't Code §§ 3500 et seq.
('86 Code, § 2.48.040) (Ord. 3898, passed - - ) Penalty, see § 1.12.010