Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The position of Public Works – Foreman is hereby created.
(B) The Public Works – Foreman shall be appointed by the Mayor upon recommendation of the Superintendent of Public Works.
(C) The Public Works – Foreman shall be subject to the authority of the Superintendent of Public Works, and shall receive immediate supervision and direction from the Superintendent of Public Works.
(D) The Public Works – Foreman is a full time position which shall perform a broad range of duties as assigned by the Superintendent and as more particularly described in the position’s job description: shall be able to lift objects in excess of fifty (50) pounds several times a day, or as the job requires: have the ability to operate motorized equipment, light and heavy hand tools, machinery and heavy equipment: and perform any other task as assigned by the Superintendent.
(E) The Public Works – Foreman shall possess sufficient qualifications, education and experience in order to effectively carry out the duties of the position, and shall maintain the ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously and tactfully, both with co-workers and members of the public. He or she shall:
(1) Have earned a high school diploma or its equivalency: an associate degree or graduation from an applicable trade school is preferred or ten (10) years comparable experience in lieu of a degree supplemented by significant experience in the performance of various manual labor duties, repair, and maintenance activities; a demonstrated proficiency in the operation and maintenance of commonly used power tools and heavy machinery implements: significant experience in paving, and concrete finishing techniques; experience in the responsible supervision of employees: or any combination of experience and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this job;
(2) Be able to pass a physical examination by a licensed physician, drug screen, background investigation and be free of all apparent mental disorders, which examination, testing and investigation shall be performed by the City and/or by professionals as directed by the City;
(3) Be able to obtain any certification as required to maintain control and supervision of workers; and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other governments and agencies, city officers and employees, and general public;
(4) Be in possession of or have the ability to obtain upon appointment a valid vehicle operator’s license and a commercial driver’s license (CDL); possession of, or the ability to obtain any license(s) deemed appropriate or necessary for the successful completion of job tasks: and be able to respond to a call-back within thirty (30) minutes: qualify for automobile insurance coverage with the City’s insurance carrier, and have the ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner;
(5) Demonstrate good moral character; and
(6) Have other qualifications, skills and abilities as required by the City.
(F) Compensation for the Public Works – Foreman shall be as provided for in the City’s fiscal year budget.
(G) The City has developed a comprehensive job description for the Public Works – Foreman, including a detailed list of duties and responsibilities, which is attached to Ord. No. 2017-02 as an Exhibit and is incorporated by reference into § 37.02.
(Ord. 2017-02, passed 3-16-17)