Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The position of Police Social Services Coordinator is hereby created.
(B) The Police Social Services Coordinator shall be appointed by the Chief of Police with approval of the Mayor.
(C) The Police Social Services Coordinator shall be subject to the authority of the Chief of Police, and shall receive immediate supervision and direction from the Police Command Staff, and/or the Officer In Charge.
(D) The Police Social Services Coordinator is a non-sworn civilian police administrative position responsible for providing social service support to the Police Department and all members of the community. He or she shall:
(1) Be available to members of the Police Department as well as members of the community as an assistance, information, and referral source;
(2) Act as a liaison between the Police Department and the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services by providing follow-up and monitoring of cases upon request from the Department or other community agencies;
(3) Provide assistance to members of the community upon referral or contact including domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, financial hardship, mental health issues, competency issues, other behavioral health issues such as addiction, homelessness, sexual trafficking, kidnapping of minor child, and Reports to the Chief of Police the scene of crimes and accidents, conduct preliminary investigation, gather evidence, and interview witnesses;
(4) Testify in court when necessary: and
(5) Perform other duties as directed by the Chief of Police.
(E) The Police Social Services Coordinator shall possess sufficient qualifications, education and experience in order to effectively carry out the duties of the position, and still maintain the ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously and tactfully, and to respect the constitutional rights of others. He or she shall:
(1) Have earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, or other social science related field supplemented with five (5) years experience in the area of social science; or have earned a Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, or other social science related field with two (2) years experience in the area of social science; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job;
(2) Be able to pass a physical examination by a licensed physician, drug screen, psychological screening, polygraph examination, background investigation and be free of all apparent mental disorders:
(3) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age and possess and maintain a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky driver’s license, and have the ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner;
(4) Demonstrate good moral character; and
(5) Have other qualifications, skills and abilities as required by the Chief of Police.
(F) Compensation for the Police Social Services Coordinator shall be as provided for in the City’s fiscal year budget.
(G) The Chief of Police has developed a comprehensive job description for the Police Social Services Coordinator, including a detailed list of duties and responsibilities, which is attached to Ord. No. 2016-04 as an Exhibit and is incorporated by reference into § 37.02.
(Ord. 2016-04, passed 4-7-16)