Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The city hereby establishes the position of part-time Codes Enforcement Officer.
(B) The part-time Codes Enforcement Officer shall be appointed by the Mayor and may be removed by the Mayor at will, unless otherwise provided by statute, tenure, contract or ordinance.
(C) The part-time Codes Enforcement Officer shall not be required to execute the oath of office as set forth in Section 228 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky prior to the assumption of the duties of that office, unless required to do so by the Mayor.
(D) The part-time Codes Enforcement Officer shall perform the duties and functions of the Codes Enforcement Officer under Ordinances 5-99 and 8-99 and KRS 65.8801 et seq., to the extent directed by the Mayor.
(E) The preferred experience, training and education for the part-time Codes Enforcement Officer shall include graduation from high school supplemented by experience and/or education in related fields. Additional experience, education and training in codes administration, inspection and enforcement will be advantageous.
(F) Compensation for services for the part-time Codes Enforcement Officer shall be as provided by separate ordinance of the city, by separate contract and as appropriated in the annual budget of the city.
(G) There are no bond requirements for this office.
(H) Authorized pursuant to KRS 83A.087, the legislative body of the City of Alexandria does hereby authorize the employment of Citation Officers as needed.
(1) The Mayor shall have the authority and discretion to appoint the County Animal Control Officer(s) and the City Zoning Administrator, and other persons possessing the required qualifications, as stated below, to the position of Citation Officer. The appointment of a Citation Officer may be withdrawn or suspended for any reason by the Mayor.
(2) The minimum required qualifications for the position of Citation Officer are: knowledge, experience and/or training in reading, understanding, applying and enforcing laws and ordinances. The officers, agents and employees holding the positions listed below are hereby deemed per se qualified as Citation Officers. Once the qualified person is appointed by the Mayor to the position of Citation Officer, the Citation Officer is authorized to issue citations with respect to the ordinances expressly set out for their respective positions or as the Mayor directs.
(3) Position title; ordinances to be enforced.
Ordinances to be Enforced
(a) Codes Enforcement Officer
Alexandria Code of Ordinances. All Ordinances duly adopted not in conflict with (H)(4) below, including Zoning and Building Codes, Subdivision Regulations, Property Maintenance Code and all other documents referenced in any adopted Ordinance.
(b) County Animal Control Officer(s)
Applicable animal control laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the related ordinances of the city, and to issue citations for violations thereof.
(c) Zoning Administrator
To perform all the duties and functions of the Codes Enforcement Officer pursuant to § 31.47 of this code of ordinances and KRS 65.8801 to 65.8839, and thereby enforce the Alexandria Code of Ordinances and all ordinances duly adopted not in conflict with (H)(4) below, including without limitation zoning and building codes, subdivision regulations, property maintenance code and all other documents in which the Codes Enforcement Officer is referenced in any adopted ordinance.
(4) Citation Officers shall not have the powers of peace officers to make arrests or carry deadly weapons, but may issue citations upon observation of:
(a) Non-moving motor vehicle offenses;
(b) Violations of ordinances except for moving motor vehicle offenses and except for offenses which constitute a violation of the Kentucky Penal Code.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be a limitation on the power of a Citation Officer to make an arrest as a private person as provided in KRS 431.005.
(5) Citation Officers appointed pursuant to this section shall carry identification identifying themselves as Citation Officers and shall immediately identify themselves as Citation Officers to any member of the public while enforcing any ordinance of the city by use of this section.
(6) The procedures for citations issued by a Citation Officer shall be as provided in KRS 431.015. The citation shall provide that the defendant shall appear within a designated time in the district court, pursuant to the direction of the district court; or shall include the information required by § 35.64 of this Code of Ordinances. Standard citation forms shall be utilized by all Citation Officers appointed pursuant to this section.
(7) The procedure set forth in this section shall not be the exclusive means for enforcement of city ordinances. It is an alternative method of code enforcement and does not repeal any current ordinance nor limit the ability of any person appointed Citation Officer to enforce a city ordinance through an alternative legal method of code enforcement.
(Ord. 2001-09, passed 6-21-01; Am. Ord. 2002-13, passed 11-21-02; Am. Ord. 2015-07, passed 9-17-15)