Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) There is hereby created and established the non-elected office of Superintendent of Public Works.
(B) The Superintendent of Public Works shall be appointed by the mayor with the approval of the City Council, and may be removed by the Mayor at will unless otherwise provided by statute, tenure, contract, or ordinance.
(C) The Superintendent of Public Works shall be a working superintendent and have the following powers and duties:
(1) Be responsible for planning coordinating and supervising the activities of the Maintenance Department, including the maintenance and repair of the city's sanitation system, streets, grounds, public buildings and vehicles;
(2) Respond to citizens' complaints and problems;
(3) Maintain records of special assessments;
(4) Prepare and deliver in writing monthly activity reports to City Council regarding the Public Works Department no later than at the second Council meeting of the month following the month for which the report is prepared;
(5) Schedule, supervise and evaluate all workers in the Public Works Department; and
(6) Perform other duties as required under the general supervision of the Mayor.
(D) Training and experience for the position of Superintendent of Public Works are as follows:
(1) High school graduate or equivalent thereof with preference to any college completed; and
(2) Public works experience.
(E) Knowledge, skills and abilities of the office of Superintendent of Public Works are as follows:
(1) Able to plan and supervise public works activities on a departmental level;
(2) Able to prepare and administer a budget for his Department;
(3) Able to write and speak effectively, including the accurate preparation of reports;
(4) Possess considerable knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances;
(5) Able to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other governmental agencies, city officers and employees, and the general public; and
(6) Possess considerable knowledge of occupational hazards and proper safety precautions.
(F) The Superintendent of Public Works shall be required to execute an oath of office prior to the assumption of the duties of that office as follows:
(1) If the Superintendent of Public Works shall be a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the oath of office as set forth in Section 228 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky; or
(2) If the Superintendent of Public Works is not a citizen of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the applicable oath shall be "I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of Superintendent of Public Works according to law, and I will uphold and defend the constitution of the United States of America, the Constitution and Laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and the ordinances, rules and regulations of the City of Alexandria, Kentucky.
(G) There are no bond requirements for this office.
(H) Compensation for the office of Superintendent of Public Works shall be as provided by separate ordinance of the city, by separate contract and as appropriated in the annual budget of the city.
(Ord. 16-95, passed 8-3-95; Am. Ord. 27-95, passed 11-16-95; Am. Ord. 2001-10, passed 6-21-01; Am. Ord. 2010-05, passed 2-18-10)
Oath of Office, see § 31.01