Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The city hereby establishes the office of the City Attorney.
(B) The City Attorney shall be appointed by the Mayor with the approval of City Council, and may be removed by the Mayor at will unless otherwise provided by statute, tenure, contract, or ordinance.
(C) The City Attorney shall be required to execute the oath of office as set forth in Section 228 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky prior to the assumption of the duties of that office.
(D) The City Attorney shall:
(1) Attend all regular meetings of the City Council.
(2) Advise the Mayor who shall then report to Council, in all legal proceedings, legal matters, or matters of litigation.
(3) Draft all ordinary ordinances, resolutions, and other documents.
(4) Possess all the necessary powers and authority to carry out the functions of this office as conferred on the City Attorney by law.
(5) Perform all other duties assigned to the office of City Attorney by the Council.
(E) Compensation for the City Attorney shall be in the sum of ten thousand eight hundred dollars ($10,800.00) per year, payable quarterly, for the performance of the above duties. He shall receive additional compensation at the rate of seventy-five dollars ($75.00) per hour for representation in litigation or for other extraordinary matters with the approval of the Mayor, including representation of the various boards and commissions of the city; provided, however, that compensation for attendance at meetings of the city’s boards and commissions shall be limited to one hundred dollars ($100.00) per meeting.
(Ord. 6-83, passed 6-23-83; Am. Ord. 14-90, passed 8-9-90; Am. Ord. 2-91, passed 1-10-91; Am. Ord. 29-92, passed 9-3-92)