Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The city hereby establishes the offices of the City Clerk and the Assistant City Clerk.
(B) The City Clerk and the Assistant City Clerk shall be appointed by the Mayor with the approval of City Council, and may be removed by the Mayor at will unless otherwise provided by statute, tenure, contract, or ordinance.
(C) The City Clerk and the Assistant City Clerk shall be required to execute the oath of office as set forth in Section 228 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky prior to the assumption of the duties of that office.
(D) The City Clerk shall:
(1) Serve as the Clerk of Council and the city.
(2) Attend all regular and special meetings of the Council.
(3) Record all proceedings and prepare minutes of all regular and special meetings of the Council.
(4) Publish ordinances after adoption.
(5) Organize and care for the records of the city.
(6) Handle correspondence for the city.
(7) Possess all necessary powers and authority to carry out the functions of this office as conferred upon the City Clerk by law.
(8) No later than January 31 of each year, mail to the Department for Local Government a list containing current city information including but not limited to the following:
(a) The correct name of the Mayor, legislative body members, and the following appointed officials who are serving as of January 1 of each year:
1. City Clerk;
2. City Treasurer;
3. City Manager;
4. City Attorney;
5. Finance Director;
6. Police Chief;
7. Fire Chief; and
8. Public Works Director;
(b) The correct name of the city, mailing address for city hall, and telephone number of the city hall; and
(c) The name and telephone number of either an elected or appointed official to serve as a contact person that may be reached during normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(9) In the event that an elected official of the City of Alexandria is incapable of serving in his or her seat as elected (such as inability to attend meetings and perform other required duties) due to an accident, health, legal or otherwise, the City Clerk shall notify immediately, upon knowledge of said fact, all other elected city officials. In no case shall the specifics of an elected official’s medical condition be disclosed, unless authorized in writing by that city official.
(10) Perform all other duties and functions assigned to the office of City Clerk by the City Council.
(11) The City Clerk shall provide immediate supervision and direction of the Accounting Clerk pursuant to § 31.50(C), unless the Mayor shall delegate such immediate supervision and direction of the Accounting Clerk to another.
(E) The Assistant City Clerk shall perform all other duties and functions assigned to the office of Assistant City Clerk by the Clerk, the Mayor and the City Council. Pursuant to § 31.37(G), the duties of the Treasurer may be delegated to the City Clerk by executive order of the Mayor, in which case the officer shall be referred to as the “City Clerk/Treasurer.”
(F) Bond for the City Clerk and Assistant City Clerk shall be required in the amount as set forth in KRS 65.067.
(G) Compensation for the City Clerk and the Assistant City Clerk shall be as established or set by separate ordinance or by the city’s fiscal year budget.
(H) Pursuant to KRS 241.160, the duties of the City Alcoholic Beverage Control Administrator (the “City ABC Administrator”) are assigned to the office of City Clerk.
(1) The City ABC Administrator shall take an oath prescribed in Section 228 of the Constitution and shall execute a bond with a good corporate surety in the penal sum of not less than as required by KRS 65.067 before entering upon his/her duties. The cost of this bond shall be borne by the city.
(2) The function of the City ABC Administrator shall be the same with respect to city licenses and regulations as the functions of the State Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, created by KRS 241.030, with respect to state licenses and regulations, except that no regulation adopted by a City ABC Administrator may be less stringent that the statutes relating to alcoholic beverage control of than the regulations of the State Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
(3) The City ABC Administrator is authorized to examine and inspect, at any reasonable time, all books and records required to be maintained by licenses under KRS 244.150. The licensee shall submit to the City ABC Administrator a copy of all reports which the licensee is required or elects to submit to or file with the State Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.
(4) The City ABC Administrator shall have the power and duty to suspend or revoke for cause, a license granted pursuant to the procedures set forth in KRS 243.480 through 243.590. The City ABC Administrator, on his/her own initiative or on complaint of any person, may institute proceedings to suspend or revoke any license issued.
(Ord. 6-83, passed 6-23-83; Am. Ord. 12-85, passed 8-22-85; Am. Ord. 16-87, passed 8-27-87; Am. Ord. 23-88, passed 8-11-88; Am. Ord. 19-89, passed 7-13-89; Am. Ord. 32-91, passed 8-22-91; Am. Ord. 14-97, passed 9-18-97; Am. Ord. 2006-30, passed 10-19-06; Am. Ord. 2010-06, passed 2-18-10; Am. Ord. 2011-02, passed 3-17-11; Am. Ord. 2019-02, passed 5-16-19)