Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The position of Non-Sworn Police Investigative Assistant is hereby created.
(B) The Police Investigative Assistant shall be appointed by the Chief of Police with approval of the Mayor.
(C) The Police Investigative Assistant shall be subject to the authority of the Mayor and the Chief of Police, and shall receive immediate supervision and direction from the Detective, the Assistant Chief of Police, or the officer in charge.
(D) The Police Investigative Assistant is a non-sworn police position involving assisting the sworn police officers and detective in the administrative enforcement of federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, in the investigation of crimes under the direction of sworn personnel, and in assisting sworn police detectives in the preparation of cases by completing administrative and research functions. He or she shall:
(1) Be responsible for assisting administratively in maintaining law and order, for protecting life and property, and for performing other activities including surveillance, criminal investigation, and crime prevention;
(2) Communicate accurately with other officers, government agencies, and the general public regarding accidents, crimes, and emergency response situations;
(3) Secure the scene of crimes and accidents, conduct preliminary investigation, gather evidence, and interview witnesses;
(4) Testify in court when necessary; and
(5) Perform other duties as directed by the Chief of Police.
(E) The Police Investigative Assistant shall possess sufficient qualifications, education and experience in order to effectively carry out the duties of the position, and still maintain the ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously and tactfully, and to respect the constitutional rights of others. He or she shall:
(1) Be a graduate of a standard high school, or the equivalency, supplemented by significant experience in the field of law enforcement with extensive investigative experience;
(2) Maintain annual investigative and crime scene training, as mandated by the Chief of Police;
(3) Possession and maintenance of a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky Driver’s License, and have the ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner;
(4) Qualify for certification and licensing under the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council, Police Officer Professional Standards Act but shall remain non-sworn and have no peace officer powers; and
(5) Have other qualifications, skill and abilities as required by the Chief of Police.
(F) Compensation for the Police Investigative Assistant shall be in the range between twelve dollars and fifty cents ($12.50) and eighteen dollars ($18.00) per hour, and shall be the amount as provided for in the city’s fiscal year budget.
(G) The Chief of Police shall develop a comprehensive job description for the Police Investigative Assistant, including a detailed list of duties and responsibilities.
(Ord. 2005-08, passed 5-19-05)