Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Enterprise License: The application for a therapeutic massage enterprise must contain the following information:
1. For all applicants:
a. Whether the applicant is an individual, corporation, partnership or other form of organization.
b. The legal description of the premises to be licensed, together with a plan of the area showing dimensions, location of buildings, street access and parking facilities.
c. The floor number, street number, and rooms where the massage services are to be conducted.
d. Whether all real estate and personal property taxes that are due and payable for the premises to be licensed have been paid, and if not, the years and amounts that are unpaid.
e. If the application is for premises either planned or under construction or undergoing substantial alteration, the application must be accompanied by preliminary plans showing the design of the proposed premises; if the plans for design are on file with the building official, no plans need be submitted.
f. The name and street address of the business if it is to be conducted under a designation, name or style other than the name of the applicant, and a certified copy of the certificate required by Minnesota statutes section 333.02.
g. Other information that the city council may require.
2. For applicants who are individuals:
a. The name and date of birth of the applicant and applicant's residence address.
b. If the applicant has ever used or been known by a name other than the applicant's name, and if so, the name or names and information concerning the dates and places where used.
c. Residence addresses of the applicant during five (5) years preceding the date of application.
d. The type, name and location of every business or occupation the applicant has been engaged in during the preceding five (5) years.
e. Names and addresses of the applicant's employers for the preceding five (5) years.
f. If the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, crime or violation of an ordinance other than a minor traffic offense; if so, the applicant must furnish information as to the time, place and offense involved in the convictions.
g. If the applicant has ever been engaged in the operation of massage services; if so, the applicant must furnish information as to the name, place and length of time of the involvement in such activity.
3. For applicants that are partnerships:
a. The names and addresses of general and limited partners and the information concerning each general partner described in subsection A2 of this section.
b. The managing partners must be designated, and the interest of each general and limited partner in the business must be disclosed.
c. A true copy of the partnership agreement must be submitted with the application, and if the partnership is required to file a certificate as to a trade name under Minnesota statutes section 333.02, a certified copy of that certificate must be submitted. The license, if issued, will be in the name of the partnership.
4. For applicants that are corporations:
a. The name of the organization, and if incorporated, the state of incorporation.
b. A true copy of the certificate of incorporation, and if a foreign corporation, a certificate of authority as described in Minnesota statutes section 333.02.
c. The name of the general manager, corporate officers, proprietor, and other persons in charge of the premises to be licensed, and the information about those person described in subsection A2 if this section.
d. A list of the persons who own or have a controlling interest in the corporation or organization or who are officers of the corporation or organization, together with their addresses and the information regarding such persons described in subsection A2 of this section.
B. Therapist: An application for a therapeutic massage therapist license must contain the following information:
1. The applicant's name and address.
2. The applicant's current employer.
3. The applicant's employers for the previous five (5) years, including the employers' names, addresses and dates of employment.
4. The applicant's residence address for the previous five (5) years.
5. The applicant's social security number, date of birth, home telephone number, weight, height, color of eyes and color of hair.
6. If the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, crime or violation of an ordinance other than a minor traffic offense, and if so, the time, place and offense involved in the convictions.
7. If the applicant has ever used or been known by a name other than the applicant's name, and if so, the name or names and information concerning dates and places where used.
8. a. Evidence that the applicant:
(1) Has current insurance coverage over one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) for professional liability in the practice of massage;
(2) Is affiliated with, employed by or owns a therapeutic massage enterprise licensed by the city;
(3) Has completed four hundred (400) hours of certified therapeutic massage training from a recognized school that has been approved by the city council; or
(4) Has one year of experience practicing massage therapy as established by an affidavit and can document, within two (2) years of obtaining the license, that the person has completed four hundred (400) hours of certified therapeutic massage training from a recognized school; if such documentation cannot be established at the time of license renewal, the license will not be renewed, and the person who received the license based upon experience may not receive a license in the future unless the person has the requisite certified hours.
b. The minimum requirement of massage training specified in subsections B8a(3) and B8a(4) of this section does not apply to a massage therapist:
(1) Employed by an establishment licensed for massage on the effective date hereof; and
(2) Continuously employed since that date by the licensed establishment.
9. Other information that the city council may require. (Ord. 1999-2, 2-1-1999)