Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Therapeutic Massage Enterprise: It is unlawful to operate, offer, engage in or carry on massage services in the city without a therapeutic massage enterprise license.
B. Therapeutic Massage Therapist: It is unlawful to practice, administer or provide massage services in the city without a therapeutic massage therapist license.
C. Exceptions: A therapeutic massage enterprise license or massage therapist license is not required for the following persons and places:
1. Persons licensed by the state to practice medicine, surgery, osteopathy, chiropractic, physical therapy or podiatry; provided, that the massage is administered in the regular course of the medical treatment not provided as part of a separate and distinct massage business;
2. Persons licensed by the state as beauty culturists or barbers, provided the persons do not hold themselves out as giving massage treatments, and provided, that massage by beauty culturists is limited to the head, hand, neck and feet, and the massage by barbers is limited to the head and neck;
3. Persons working solely under the direction and control of a person duly licensed by the state to practice medicine, surgery, osteopathy, chiropractic, physical therapy or podiatry;
4. A place licensed or operating as a hospital, nursing home, hospice, sanitarium or group home established for hospitalization or medical care; and
5. Athletic coaches, directors, and trainers employed by public or private schools. (Ord. 1999-2, 2-1-1999)