Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following are declared to be nuisances affecting public peace and safety:
A. Water, Snow And Ice Deposits On Public Ways:
1. Depositing, or causing to be deposited, any snow or ice on or against any fire hydrant or on any sidewalk or roadway.
2. The allowing of rainwater, ice or snow to fall from any building or structure upon any street or sidewalk or to flow across any sidewalk.
3. Wastewater cast upon or permitted to flow upon streets or other public property.
B. Trees, Vegetation And Billboards Obstructing Traffic And Public Ways:
1. All trees, hedges, billboards, or other obstructions which prevent persons from having a clear view of all traffic approaching an intersection.
2. Any tree, shrub, bush, or other vegetation located on private property which obstructs use or travel on any public right of way.
C. Wires, Tree Limbs And Signs Over Public Ways:
1. All wires and limbs of trees which are so close to the surface of a sidewalk or street as to constitute a danger to pedestrians or vehicles.
2. All hanging signs, awnings, and other similar structures over streets and sidewalks, or so situated so as to endanger public safety, or not constructed and maintained as provided by ordinance.
D. Barbed Wire And Electric Fences Near Public Ways: Any electric or barbed wire fencing strung lower than six feet (6') in height and within three feet (3') of a public sidewalk or way, except when used in conjunction with agricultural uses in an area zoned for such use.
E. Obstructing Public Ways Generally; Excavations: Obstructions and excavations affecting the ordinary use by the public of streets, alleys, sidewalks, or public grounds except under such conditions as are permitted by city ordinances or other applicable law.
F. Merchandise, Building Materials And Machinery In Public Ways: Placing or storing on any street, sidewalk, alley or public right of way any boxes, goods, wares, merchandise, building materials, machinery, business or trade article except for the purpose of immediately transferring the same to some other proper place.
G. Use Of Property To Create Crowds In Public Ways: Any use of property abutting a public street or sidewalk or any use of a public street or sidewalk which causes large crowds of people to gather, obstructing traffic and the free use of the street or sidewalk, and which activity is conducted without a permit, license or other permission duly granted by the city.
H. Dangerous Antennas: Radio aerials or television antennas erected or maintained in a dangerous manner.
I. Dangerous, Unguarded Machinery: All dangerous, unguarded machinery in any public place, or so situated or operated on private property as to attract the public.
J. Junk Accumulations: Accumulations in the open of broken or unused metal, wood, lumber, cement, electrical fixtures, plumbing fixtures, building materials (but excluding building materials awaiting use and stored for a reasonable period of time for an improvement presently in progress on the same premises), discarded or unused machinery, household appliances, automobile bodies, trash, debris, rubbish or other material, in a manner conducive to the harboring of rats, mice, snakes, or vermin, or the rank growth of vegetation among the items so accumulated, or items accumulated in a manner creating fire, health, or safety hazards.
K. Abandoned Containers: The keeping of any used refrigerator, icebox or freezer in a location or manner accessible to children which is not in service and which has the door latch intact.
L. Uncovered Wells, Holes, Excavations: Any well, hole, or similar excavation which is left open or uncovered or in such other condition as to constitute a danger to any child or other person coming onto the premises where it is located.
M. Obstructing Waterways, Drains, Gutters: Obstruction of the free flow of water in a natural waterway, a public street drain, storm sewer, gutter, or ditch with trash or other materials.
N. Drainage Obstructions: Digging excavations, placing culverts, placing dams, or doing any act which may alter or affect the drainage of public property, streets, alleys or sidewalks, or affect flows of the public storm sewer and drainage ditch system, without authorization by the city.
O. Throwing Dangerous Objects On Public Ways: The placing or throwing on any street, sidewalk, or other public property of any glass, tacks, nails, bottles, or other substance which may injure any person or animal or damage any pneumatic tire when passing over such substance. (2005 Code)
P. Garbage, Refuse And Earth Deposits:
1. The deposition of garbage, refuse, lawn clippings, or yard waste on a public right of way or on adjacent private property.
2. Throwing, placing, or depositing dirt, rocks, sand, leaves, trash, lawn clippings, weeds, grass, or other materials in the streets, sidewalks, ditches, wetlands, wetland buffer areas, stormwater ponds, stormwater pond buffer areas, drainage easements, etc., or other public ways and the gutters thereof.
3. Permitting dirt, rocks or mud from construction or landscaping activities to be carried or deposited onto nearby streets, storm sewers, sidewalks, ditches or other public ways and the gutters thereof. (Ord. 2016-07, 8-1-2016)
Q. Electrical Emission: All activities which create electrical emissions shall comply with the minimum requirements of the federal communications commission.
R. Other Injurious Conditions: All other conditions or things which are likely to cause injury to the person or property of anyone. (Ord. 2009-003, 2-2-2009)