Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. License Required; Separate Licenses: It shall be unlawful for any person to operation of an MFU in the City without first obtaining a license in compliance with the provisions of this section.
B. Application for License: An application for a license shall be filed with the City Clerk. The application shall be made on a form supplied by the City and shall contain information, including but not limited to, the following.
1. The applicant’s legal name, other names applicant uses or is known by.
2. The permanent home address (place of business if the applicant is not a person) and telephone numbers of the applicant.
3. the owner or lessee of the property upon which the MFU will be located must either sign the application or sign a written statement authorizing the applicant to operate the MFU on the owner’s or lessee’s property.
4. A description of the nature of the MFU, the goods to be sold, and the applicant’s method of operation.
5. A copy of the MFU’s State of Minnesota Health Department License authorizing sales. MFUs must adhere to state regulations for food trucks as provided in food code chapter 4626.1860 mobile food establishments; seasonal temporary food stands; seasonal permanent food stands.
6. The length of time during which the applicant intends to do business in the City, with the approximate dates.
7. A statement as to whether or not the applicant or the person managing the business has been convicted of any crime, misdemeanor or violation of any municipal ordinance involving activities licensed under this chapter, the nature of the offense and the punishment or penalty assessed therefor.
8. A description of the vehicle, together with the license number or other means of identification. Vehicle size shall not exceed ten (10) feet in height, nor twenty-five (25) feet in length.
9. Ice cream truck vendors shall be required to undergo a criminal background check prior to operating in the City.
C. License Fee: The license fee for operating an MFU established in section 3-1-3 of this code, shall be paid at the time of application for a license.
D. No license shall be required for any MFU that:
1. Has contracted solely with the owner or occupant of a property for a private event on such property where food is not sold to guests or any other member of the public and for which there is no fee for admission.
2. Is authorized by the City to operate on City Park property during the Friendly City Days festival.
E. License Types:
1. There shall be two types of MFU licenses, as follows: shall be issued for one of two time periods:
a. A temporary license allows an MFU operations in the City for up to three (3) consecutive days; or
b. An annual license allows an operations in the City for up to 21 days during the calendar year. All annual licenses expire on December 31 following the date of issue.
F. All licenses shall be issued for use on one property only.
G. The City may place conditions on such license that it deems necessary and appropriate.
H. The City may refuse to issue a license to any person who has previously had an MFU license revoked by the City.
(Ord. 2017-01, 1-3-2017; amd. Ord. 2021-04, 3-15-2021)