Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. It is unlawful for any person other than a franchisee (or its agents and employees) to collect any discarded solid waste including recyclable material, or otherwise provide solid waste handling services within the City. This prohibition shall not, however, apply to:
1. Registered self-haulers as defined in this chapter;
2. The owner, tenant or occupant of residential or commercial premises who has subscribed for and is receiving solid waste handling services with a franchisee, when such owner, tenant or occupant is hauling materials generated at his/her own premises to a lawful disposal or recycling facility. This exemption does not permit the hiring of any person or entity, other than a franchisee, to haul solid waste from one's own premises;
3. The collection, transportation and disposal of construction and demolition debris by a contractor, handyman, repairman or other similar service provider as an incidental part of the services provided to its customers rather than as a hauling service, provided that such solid waste is not collected or transported by a third party hired for the primary purpose of collecting and transporting said materials, and further provided that such services comply with any ordinances, policies and regulations of the City relating to the collection of such materials;
4. The collection, transportation and disposal of yard waste, green waste and related solid waste by a gardener or landscaper as an incidental part of the gardening or landscaping services provided to its customers, rather than as a hauling service, provided that such solid waste is not collected or transported by a third party hired for the primary purpose of collecting and transporting said materials;
5. Any person or entity collecting recyclable material sold or donated to it by the person or entity that generated such recyclable material (the "generator") provided, however, to the extent permitted by law, if the generator is required to pay monetary or non-monetary consideration for the collection, transportation, transfer or processing of recyclable material, the fact that the generator receives a reduction or discount in price therefor (or in other terms of the consideration the generator is required to pay) shall not be considered a sale or donation.
B. It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, occupant or person in possession, charge or control of any residential or commercial premises, or a person authorized by law (such as a franchisee), to remove any bin, cart, rolloff box or other container from any such premises or from any location where it was lawfully placed for collection, without the prior written approval of the owner, occupant or person in possession, charge or control of such premises.
C. No person shall place solid waste adjacent to a street or public right-of-way for collection by a franchisee without having first subscribed for solid waste handling services with such franchisee.
D. No person shall burn any solid waste within the City, except in an approved incinerator or other device for which a permit has been issued by the building official and fire marshal, and which complies with all applicable local, state and/or federal permit requirements, laws, rules and regulations.
E. It is unlawful for any person, other than a franchisee, to take, remove or appropriate for his/her own use any solid waste, including recyclable materials, which has been placed in any street or alley for collection or removal by a franchisee, regardless of whether the solid waste is placed in a bin, cart, rolloff box or other container.
[Ord. No. 499, 5/26/10.]